Competition success for the design of paired cottages for Sydney’s newest garden suburb – Daceyville, led to commissions for a variety of city and country bungalow residences. James Peddle, with Samuel Thorp expanded the practice with the employment of articled pupils, Ernest Walker and Frank Thorp (Samuel’s brother). By 1929, the firm was known as Peddle, Thorp and Walker, comprising an equal partnership of James Peddle, Samuel (SG) Thorp, Ernest (F.H.E) Walker and Frank Thorp.
Each of the new partners brought a complementary set of capabilities to Peddle’s interest in social living conditions. They included design, efficient planning, organisational ability, technical systems and construction. With Peddle’s increased commitment to the architectural institute and honorary roles, the new partners energised the direction of the firm towards civic, commercial and industrial buildings. The firm was successful in several public competitions and awarded the inaugural Royal Australian Institute of Architects (NSW Chapter) Sir John Sulman Medal in 1932 for Science House in Sydney.